Massage Therapy in Baltimore, MD
Massage is the manipulation of the skin and muscle tissue through touch. Massage therapy refers to the medical and restorative use of massage. This type of treatment may be delivered by a massage therapist, physical therapist or other healthcare provider. Massage therapy has many health benefits.
Request more information about massage therapy today: call (410) 204-2254 or contact Dr. Karen Clarke-Bennett online.
What is Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy is a general term given to any treatment that involves rubbing, pressing and touching the skin, muscles and tendons to provide a desired result. Massage therapy is sometimes utilized for relaxation, while other times it is used to relieve or treat a medical condition.
Some issues that are commonly addressed with massage therapy include:
- Muscle tension
- Muscle tightness
- Sports injuries
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Muscle strains
- Chronic pain
- Digestive issues
- Nerve pain
- Cancer pain
In most cases, massage therapy is a complimentary option combined with other medical treatments. Massage therapy is often a part of an injury rehabilitation or pain management treatment plan.
Types of Massage Therapy
As with most medical treatments, there are many different types of massage therapy. These methods vary depending on the amount of pressure applied, where the pressure is being applied and many other factors.
Some of the most common types of massage therapy include:
- Swedish massage: This type of massage uses gentle, circular motion to relax the muscles. Swedish massages are among the most commonly performed.
- Deep massage: Sometimes called a deep tissue massage, this treatment is typically more forceful and intense. A deep massage is performed this way to target the deeper layer of muscle in order to help relieve pain.
- Trigger point massage: This type of massage focuses on muscle tightness in one specific area of the body.
- Sports massage: A sports massage simply refers to any massage technique implemented with an athlete in mind. Sports massages can be preventive or designed to treat a specific injury.
- Stone massage: During a stone massage, warm stones are placed in key parts of the body in order to relax the muscles and relieve tension.
During a massage, the provider may utilize their hands, forearms, elbows and even special tools in order to remove tension. The vast majority of massages take place in a special massage chair, which is often adjustable and designed to provide maximum comfort.
Request Massage Therapy Today
Massage therapy can be used to treat pain and address many health issues. Request more information about massage treatment today: call (410) 204-2254 or contact Dr. Karen Clarke-Bennett online.
A Better You MediSpa & Wellness
Address525 Main Street
Laurel, MD 20707
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm